Peer Youth Work Training Academy
Our Peer Youth Work Training Academy is one of the most exciting, innovative and life-changing elements of what Your Own Place does. It encapsulates our values and ethos and makes us a better organisation.
What is it?
We want to have young people as the core of our organization. We do this my bringing young people through our Academy programme as our ‘peer trainers’. They know best how it feels to get their first tenancy, set up utilities, get turned down for a job and sometimes get in a bit of a muddle. By developing transferable youth work skills through our Training Academy, young people get a guaranteed job interview and work experience with Your Own Place and partners. Most importantly, the other young people we train get to hear how they overcame their barriers to get where they are now. The impact is threefold:
- The peer trainer gets a great training programme, interview and work experience
- Young people on our TILS courses hear first hand peer experiences and benefit from positive role models
- Your Own Place employs young people and maximises its impact
How does it work?
Our Peer Youth Worker Training Academy is part of our Employment Support.
- One-week Train the Trainer course in partnership with The Participation People (being a youth worker) and Barclays Bank (interview skills)
- Two weeks of fantastic training (Child Protection, First Aid, Professional Boundaries, Introduction to Youth Work etc)
- GOALS UK Motivational Training
- Four weeks of supported work experience
- A guaranteed interview at the end
- A graduation celebration
- A paid DBS check
- We can pay for additional youth work qualifications
- Support into other unrelated employment opportunities
If at the end of the Training Academy they discover they don’t want to work with young people, that’s fine because we know they’ve learnt loads of great transferable skills and we’ll continue to support them.
Does it work?
We have delivered six Train the Trainer courses in the last two and half years. Feedback from them is always fantastic and 50% of the young people on the courses remain engaged with us for further support.
In a follow-up call Becky told us ‘because of that course I’m now starting to get somewhere in my life.’
Click on the link for a one-page report of our most recent course to find out more.